Diesel Duck Sedan 462
Solid teak and teak veneer, teak floors, large tables in pilothouse, saloon and on flybridge, sofa’s in saloon and pilothouse, sleeps 8-9 persons.
Cabin and bathrooms/heads:
1 master bedroom
2 mid cabins
Fully equipped electrical galley with 1 oven, 1 microwave oven, 4 induction plates, hood, dishwasher and washer dryer, all standard household items.
Refrigeration and freezer:
2 Vitrifigo c130 stainless steel fridges in the galley, Vitrifrigo C42 fridge on the flybridge. 1 Large under-sofa freezer Nova Kool + smaller freezer compartments in the fridges.
Fusion, with remote control panels, KVH M5 satellite TV on the top deck railing and terrestrial antenna on mast.
Centralized chilled Webasto
30gph Cruise RO watermaker, uses standard membranes and parts. The water tanks has a total of 2000L capacity.
With 2 electrical heating elements (1 can be DC), engine heat and diesel heater.
The technical systems are generally doubled up so that there are 2 of each system for simplicity, spare parts, commonality and safety.
- Victron, Mastervolt, Simrad, BEP and Maretron equipment is installed throughout the boat.
- Water and hydraulic pipes are located on port side.
- DC, AC and data cables are located on starboard side.
- The engine and generator start batteries are the same type and capacity, ensuring that either start battery can start either engine.
- Both start batteries have separate charging systems.
- The generator and the engine use the exact same fuel filter housings (SMX) and the same filters. The main engine filters can be changed without stopping the engine.
- The sea, freshwater pumps and accumulators are the same, from Hundhunter.inc.
- All bilge pumps are the same, the bilge pump switches have separate outputs for high water alarms.
- 2 autopilots, 2 steering rams, 2 steering pumps.
- There is also a manual backup steering system using a stainless steel steering arm throughout the aft deck.
- 2 Victron inverter/chargers (Quattro, 5000W each).
- 2 Smartplug shore power inlets.
- 3 Simrad NSS12 screens, 1 Simrad Go7.
- 2 VHFs, one with nav text.
- 2 echosounder systems (1 forward looking).
- 2 hydraulic pressure pumps (on engine and generator).
- All hydraulic users have manual backup control handles.
- 230V (50Hz), 120V (60Hz), 12V and 24V.
- 2 Solar systems (on the stern railing and on the Bimini frame), deivering up to 27Amps/hour@24V.
- 2 x Dual plate induction cookers.
- 2 ovens (Normal oven and a combi oven)
- 2 toilets, each with fresh water or sea water flush
- 2 black water tanks, both are self-draining and each has 2 x 1.5″ vents for increased aeration of the tanks
- The calorifier tank is heated by 4 sources, by the Webasto diesel heater, 230V ac, 24V dc or by engine cooling water.
- Double anchors can be operated from the flybridge, the pilothouse or from the anchor pedestal with manual and hydraulic back-up.
- A large stern anchor can replace the starboard bow anchors.
- 2 joysticks control a hydraulic man-overboard system (at the boom and at the aft cockpit).
- The boom has several uses, such as for man-overboard, dinghy launching and for the mainsail.
- The engine is a 6.7 liters mechanical, 6 cylinder Iveco FPT 150 Hp@2800 RPM coupled to a Sabb HVP65E.
- The Sabb HVP65 gearbox has a hydraulic actuator for propeller pitch control and a large PTO to supply power for the hydraulic systems.
- The controllable pitch propeller has 3 blades, is 875mm in diameter and made from NIBRAL. It is made by Korsoer Propeller factory.
- This combination ensures maximum efficiency and docking manoeuvrability as the pitch can be set according to the current conditions.
- There is a double remote engine oil filter system for changing filters with the engine running.
- In addition to the regular oil filters, there’s a Puradyn PFT12 bypass engine oil filter system which continuously removes combustion particles, removes water from the engine oil and replenishes TBN oil additives
- There are 3 sets SMX double-double multistage fuel filtration kits (from sbmar.com), each comprising of a Fleetguard FS19596 and a Fleetguard FS1000, the filters can be changed while the engine is running.
- Each of the filters have a vacuum gauge. Each set of fuel filters has an electrical priming pump. Fuel cleaning is done with an 8000 RPM Alfa Laval MIB303 fuel centrifuge which can clean and transfer fuel from any tank to any tank. It cleans the fuel to below 1 micron.
- Both the generator and the engine has a North Sea type exhaust. This type of exhausts minimizes back pressure and reduces the exhaust sound. Each of the exhaust exits has a wafer valve which can be closed according to the conditions.
- The use of sails in combination with the controllable pitch propeller improves fuel efficiency and provide a smoother ride.
- The engine, generator, hydraulic and air conditioning systems are all keel cooled for maximum reliability and minimum maintenance.
Hull and Coating
- The plate thickness are as follows: keel shoe 15mm, keel sides 8mm, garboard plank 6mm, hull bottom, sides and deck 5mm, superstructure 4mm.
- The construction is to China ship Classification Society (CCS) practice, welds have been X-ray’ed to CCS standards. CCS incline test has been performed, all tanks have been pressure tested.
- There a 5 watertight compartments.
- 3 coats of epoxy primer is coated on the interior and exterior, 4 primer coats on the bottom. The primer coat thickness has been DFT tested by Hempel and verified to comply with coating requirements.
- Mascoat Delta Db sound reducing coat has been sprayed inside on all hull surfaces.
- An articulated rudder has been developed which ensures max manoeuvrability and reduced autopilot workload.
- The saloon is full width for increased safety and interior space.
- Windscreens are 19mm solid glass, side windows are 15mm and sliding windows are 8mm. Sliding windows have been placed in the least exposed locations for safety reasons. The exterior doors are from Diamond Glaze
- The full width swim platform is hinged and can be raised for added protection. There’s a protected landing step built into the stern railing.
- The fuel tank capacity is around 1900 gallons, ensuring about 720 hours of motoring and a range of about 4300 nm (8000 km) at 6 kts and longer at 5 kts.
- The hull has 3 inches of closed cell foam insulation.
- The superstructure is insulated with 2 inches of closed cell foam.
- The roof is insulated with 1 inch balsa wood and hard foam boards.
- All interior bulkheads are spray foamed for sound insulation.
- The entire engine room is additionally encompassed by two foam layers with lead centre, ¼” cork layer for sound and fire protection, and white high-density perforated sound reducing boards.
- The foam has been coated with a fire resistant epoxy to prevent fire, bad smell and humidity absorption.
- The engine room has a large air intake under the steps on the port side-deck, covered by an air-water separator. This intake design minimizes possible down-flooding using 2 sets of baffles and drains.
- The hot engine room air is exhausted through a baffled and drained exhaust canal under the ceiling on the aft deck.
- The air is drawn diagonally over the engine for max cooling efficiency.
- The lazarette has goose neck air-intake on the starboard side and a powered exhaust fan goose neck exhaust on the port side for ventilation of the lazarette.
- Each cabin area, saloon and pilothouse have a powered exhaust fan and at least one 24V air circulation fan.
- Passive air circulation is achieved by opening the foredeck hatch, the port holes, the centre pilot house windscreen and the aft sliding windows in the pilot house and the saloon.
- A centralized air conditioner system maintains the selected temperature and a separate air conditioner/de-humidifier is installed inside the fly bridge cabinet.
Safety on board
- Automatic/manual Seafire system with shutdown of fans and engines. It has a manual override system.
- 6 man Zodiac Open Sea Life raft, emergency flare package, dried food supplies
- 6 x inflatable life wests.
- GME MTE600 Epirp.
- Emergency flare package.
- Icom 801 SSB.
- Icom M601 VHF with Commandmic, with DSC for emergency position transmission.
- Nexus NX 2500 VHF/DSC/Nav text.
- Man-over-board system on the stern using the hydraulic boom winch or manual sail winches.
- Lightning strike prevention using 1 spiked rod on the mast and 6 x Siedarc electrodes on the hull.
- The hull design has a natural stability due to its hard chine, deep keel and equal weight distribution which enhances the dynamic stability.
- Stabilization is enhanced with the stabilizer booms, the birds and with sails.
- All fuel tanks are located around midship and below the waterline, minimizing trim changes as the fuel is used. The stern water tank can be used as fore-aft balance.
- Stabilization is increased with the booms deployed and further increased by deploying the birds from the booms. In addition, the clip-on headsail and mainsail can be used for stabilization and propulsion.
- Large scuppers limit the amount of water-on-deck and the 2 side deck doors can be removed to further increase the scupper area.
- This Sedan has a full width salon, which further minimizes the water-on-deck area.
About Seahorse Marine
Seahorse Marine, Zhuhai, China, is an American owned and operated yacht factory building steel yachts including Diesel Ducks designed by George Buehler. Founded in 1989, the company specialises in passagemakers, trawler yachts and motorsailers, having acquiring an excellent reputation for its classic designs, safety and build quality.